MORE SUGGESTIONS FOR DEALING WITH THE ANXIETY OF ADAPTING TO A NEW CULTURE.
Most individuals and families who are forced to live in other countries generally have in their repertoire a set of skills that they can use in the new environment to face all obstacles in a positive way.
Some of the ways to help us cope with the situation and the stress that the expatriation process produces are:
- Develop a hobby Don't forget all the positive things you have! Remember that there are always resources that you can use
- Be patient, expatriation is a process and adapting to new situations will take some time
- Learn to be constructive with yourself. If you find an environment that is not favorable, do not treat yourself in the same way. This means that you are generous with yourself. Don't treat yourself harshly.
- Learn to regularly include physical activities in your calendar. This will help you deal with sadness and loneliness in a more constructive way. For example, walk, exercise, swim, etc.
- Doing relaxation and meditation has proven to be very positive for people who are going through times of stress, as in the case of expatriates. Stay in touch with your own country. Nowadays Skype and social networks make it easy. This will give you a feeling of belonging and will reduce feelings of loneliness and alienation.
- Stay in touch with the new culture. Prepare well on the tongue. Participate as a volunteer in community activities that allow you to practice the language you are learning. This will help you acquire more language skills and give you a feeling of being useful to a cause.
- Allow yourself to feel sad about what you have left behind, your friends, your family, etc. You have to face the grief that comes with leaving the country of origin. Work on accepting the new situation and focus on using your full potential to get ahead.
- Pay attention to your family relationships and work to improve these family relationships that will support you in these difficult times.
- Set small or short-term goals and evaluate your achievements. Establish measures to correct the things that do not satisfy you one hundred percent.
- Keep the confidence in yourself. Continue with your ambitions and your plans for the future. If you feel too stressed, seek help. There is always a person or service available to assist you.
CONFIDENTIAL AND FREE