What is work motivation?
Starting at the beginning, as it should be, when we talk about work motivation, we are referring to the ability of a company to keep employees involved in order to get the most out of them and thus achieve the objectives set by the company. organization.
To understand it better, it would be the work that a soccer coach does to ensure that the players go out on the field motivated to fight for victory, it seems incredible but the more motivation and effort the better the players will have, the better goals they will achieve. achieve and more satisfaction will feel.
The same thing happens in companies and they are becoming increasingly aware of the importance of increasing employee motivation to increase company results. In fact, motivation is the most effective way that companies have of increase your productivity.
What types of motivation exist?
After this brief introduction we will delve into the concept of work motivation. In the first place, there are several types of motivation depending on the origin or character of the stimulus.
Depending on the origin of the motivation, two types of motivations can be distinguished; intrinsic or extrinsic:
- Intrinsic motivation: it is that motivation that is generated from within the person, such as the self-realization that the employee feels.
- Extrinsic motivation: it is the motivation that arises externally, for example, salary increases, bonuses for objectives or public recognition.
Also, and depending on the character of the motivation, there is positive and negative motivation:
- Positive motivation: it is one in which the motivating factor is a prize or reward, this motivation is greater and healthier since it favors the effort without producing emotions of anxiety or fear.
- Negative motivation: it is one in which the motivating factor is seen as a punishment, for example, that not reaching the objectives is perceived as an imminent risk of dismissal, this motivation ends up producing anxiety, and this can decrease performance.
How to have high employee motivation?
Taking into account the types of motivation and the importance of this for the fulfillment of the objectives of the company (and the employees themselves) a series of techniques related to work motivation that can be implemented in a company will be explained.
- Clear and feasible goals:
Employees perform their duties better when their goals are achievable and clear. It is not the same to work for an impossible that is not going to be achieved than for an objective that we can achieve.
An employee must be able to form an active part of the company, they must have the ability to communicate, give feedback, report needs. Open and horizontal communication will foster work motivation.
- Achievement Recognition:
The fact that managers recognize the achievement of objectives and congratulate workers for it has an impact on the motivation of the workforce. Achievement recognition is even more effective when done individually and in groups alike.
- Growth and possibility of promotion:
Promoting professional development with the possibility of moving up the organization chart and providing new responsibilities will provide the staff with a motivational plus.
Finally, although speaking negatively is demotivating, we add some of the enemies of work motivation:
- lack of direction
- Lack of confidence in management
- chief controllers
- Lack of flexibility
If you want more information about how we can help you increase the motivation of your organization's employees, do not hesitate to contact us. contact with nosotros.